Sunday, August 16, 2009

Just a calendar

I've been cleaning out and found this:

    Ken and I picked up this little picture of  Nauvoo (see the tiny temple on the right) when we went on a trip there a few years ago.  Until we ran out of wall space, we used to buy a watercolor of the different places we visited.  On every vacation we would search for the perfect picture to take home as a souvenir.  It was a great plan when we had lots of wall space and very few pictures.  

     On this particular trip to Nauvoo, our hotel had lots of artwork on the walls for sale.  We walked up and down the halls until we found this little picture that I loved.  The frame was quite huge, so we asked if they would just sell us the picture.  It was no problem (for $20) and the hotel clerk quickly undid the frame and wrapped up the picture for us (with a funny look on her face).  We paid and took the picture to our room.  Ken just started laughing when he took out the picture to look at it again.  This is what he saw:

A page from a calendar; A RIPPED OUT page from a calendar (look at the bottom).    And just in case you don't believe me, look at this:
So, we still framed it and hung in on our walls for many years.  I still laugh when I see it.  

3 comments:

  1. That is hilarious! I'll be looking for it next time we visit.

    My mom has done that, though. She's bought pretty calendars, then put her favorite shots (after the year's over) in frames for her office. Little by little she'd replace them with something she really wanted, but really, think about it -- they're beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I love that story it is so funny. I love the picture though, I love the fact that the temple is tiny. It reminds me of a picture of the first vision that is mostly just trees but if you look really closely you can see Joseph Smith praying.

    I see that you read Good Earth. I hope you liked it. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA!!! That is so funny! I wonder if the clerk pocketed your 20 bucks and had a really good laugh.

    I can't wait to see it next time I am over!

    HA!

    ReplyDelete