Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Staying Humble & Grounded

 I was enjoying my summer night with the kids -  a non-hectic bedtime when it doesn't really matter if they are a little late getting to bed.  

Princess and I were cuddling and talking on her bed after reading a book together.  I was telling her how much I love being her mom and that one day I would get to be a grandmother to her little kids.  It felt like a great moment. 

She put her arms around me and said, "Mom, even if you are a really ugly grandmother, I will still love you and think you are beautiful."

What????   And it wouldn't be so bad except yesterday I overheard her tell the following to her friend . . . 

"My mom had really curly hair when she married my dad.  She was really pretty.  She had a different face."

Ok . . . Ok. . . So these comments then brought again to my mind my favorite comment of all.  This happened about two years ago when she was only four.  We were sitting together on the couch looking at a clothing catalog.  I asked her which bathing suit she thought I should buy for myself.  She carefully looked at the bathing suits and then innocently asked,

"Do they sell bathing suits for fat mommies too?"

So, I am humble.  Really, really humble.  

2 comments:

  1. Chris didn't ask me, but he told me very matter of factly the other day that I had a baby in my tummy.

    I can take those things in stride pretty well (and even post about them, too -- bravo, by-the-way), but part of me can't wait for my kids to be told the same kinds of things by their kids.

    I've been humbled right there with you, but I'm still maybe a bit immature about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First words out of her mouth this morning: "Mom. will I still have my same face when I'm a mom? I like my face." Obviously she's worried about ?? Suffering the same fate as her mom??? I think there's a lesson somewhere in there that I need to teach her.

    ReplyDelete