Sunday, July 12, 2009

A Good Life, A Good Funeral

Two days ago was the funeral of my grandmother, Norinne Richards Callister.  She died at the age of 97 and lived a long, good life.   She lived a life devoted to her family and service.  When I was really young, she and grandpa Reed lived nearby.  I remember spending the night often and helping her cook in the kitchen.  My grandmother was one of those ladies who always set a beautiful table and served delicious food.  Many of my best and favorite recipes come from her. When I went to BYU, I often spent many weekends at her home.  She was always trying to get me to bring dates over.  Once she even set me up on a date with a boy she had met somewhere and thought was "charming."
  
Norinne was the daughter of LeGrand Richards, an apostle.  She was once nominated as "Best Dressed Woman in California."  (I've never even heard of such an award).  My grandfather lamented at the time, "Who nominated her?  This is going to cost me a fortune."  At the age of 80, she served as ward Relief Society President for the fourth time.  I remember her always dishing up an extra plate at dinner time that we would quickly deliver to someone in her building.  

We will miss her, but know that she must have had a sweet reunion with her daughter Paula, who passed away when she was only 16, and her husband, who passed 20 years ago.  I am so grateful for eternal families.  I love you grandma NeNe.  



1 comment:

  1. She sounds like such a wonderful and lovely lady. I would have loved to meet her. Thanks for sharing that sweet tribute.

    ReplyDelete