Sunday, May 17, 2009

Wildflower

     A week or so ago, Ken and I competed in our third Wildflower triathlon (6th overall).  Every year as we are driving to the event, I ask myself "Why are we doing this?"  Every year as I am standing at the edge of the water, in my very uncomfortable wetsuit, I again ask myself, "Why am I doing this?"  And every year, in the middle of the swim, as I am getting hammered by hands and feet around me, I swear (yes, swear) that I will never, ever do this again.  Yet, within minutes of the race being done, I join in the conversations about how we can do better next year.  Somebody, please, stop this insanity.  

This year we went with my brother, Nate, and his wife, Bethany for their first ever triathlon.  Wildflower is the place to start - there are three different distances, the races are pretty challenging (the most challenging according to "Competitor" magazine), it is set in beautiful Lake San Antonio (central, coastal California), and professionals from all over come to compete in the half-ironman distance.   Of all the races we have done, it is definitely the most fun.  

This year I learned a few new things about triathlons:

1.  You cannot race without training.  I tried this year to get by with only running beforehand.  I was running hills, so shouldn't that count?  Evidently not.  I was a full 15 minutes slower than last time (two years ago).  Bummer, but what could I expect?  

2.  The swim never gets easier - at least here at Wildflower.  I have swam distances four times as long as the swim at Wildflower, yet the Wildflower swim is the hardest I have ever done.  For some reason (maybe the cold or the crowds), I can never catch my breath.  It is truly one of the scariest physical things I have ever done (so why do I keep doing it ???).

3.  You need to really make sure the bikes are tied down tight on the trip up.  Or, one might bounce off and get hit by a semi-truck.  And, shatter into a hundred pieces across the freeway and neighboring farm.  On the way TO the triathlon.  
Obviously my brother has a great personality.  You can see him here smiling as he clears the wreckage from the freeway.  Smiling, regardless of the fact that now he had to pay to rent a bike for his wife and buy a new bike for their friends (it was a borrowed bike).  I know it's overdone, but I have to do it:   bike rental - $100, new bike for friend - $300, racing your first triathlon - PRICELESS.   Here's one more look at the bike:

4.  If you keep your eyes and ears open, you can watch some of the greats race:  Andy Potts, Sindballe, Chris Lieto, etc.  It is incredible watching these elite athletes perform.   This year I met one of my favorite triathletes - Julie Moss.  She has been "MCing" the event for many years, but I never realized who she was until this year when she shared part of her first Ironman story.    Here we are with Julie:

 If you don't know Julie's story - take a look at this video of her first triathlon (keep in mind, she was an unknown, non-triathlete, who had decided to race the Ironman since she was writing a dissertation about it).  Her race helped catapult triathlon racing into the public eye.  Below is a short video of her race in 1982.  

Anyway - thanks(or no thanks)  to a friend (Denise - you know who you are), we are now addicted to triathlons.  Does anyone want to join us?

4 comments:

  1. WOW! You guys are my heros! What an awesome thing to do. You might have almost inspired me to try and train for a triathlon - almost!

    Congrats on sticking to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll see you next year at Wildflower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea you just did that-what a horrible friend I am! We need to talk more! That was the weekend I tried to call and set up the blessing-SOOOOOOO sorry! The bike story is great-that would happen to me. You are amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, me and Kristi did not get the triathalon genes...she can run at least, i can't even do that! How did I graduate high school? You guys are so super...that bike in the freeway is awesome...and so sucky...keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete